Monday, September 26, 2016

Extract Google Authenticator database from unrooted S4 i9505?

Hi everyone!

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-i9505 running Android 5.0.1 build oj2.

It has a Google Authenticator database on it which I would like to extract, so I can migrate it over to a new phone.
I would rather not have to cancel and renew all my 2fa accounts currently stored withing Google Authenticator.

It seems I need root access to access the database file.
I found some references to things like motochopper, psneuter, providing temporary root, and I tried a couple of those, but it seems my S4 has been properly patched.
I tried compiling and executing a copy of Towelroot I found on GitHub under /geekben/towelroot, but that didn't work either (maybe I did not correctly compile...)

Priority #1 is not losing access to my Google Authenticator database (no bricking, no factory reset, ...)

What are my options? Does a simple root exploit exist for my S4 that would allow me to copy the db file? I was unable to find it.

I read something about a custom recovery, and then using nandroid to backup, which, I think, would allow me to extract the db from the backup?
I'm not sure about the risks involved; if flashing the custom recovery fails for whatever reason, do I still have 'normal' access to my S4?
Is it at all possible to flash a custom recover without first wiping everything on my S4? I'm reading mixed information.

Any other options perhaps?

Also, my S4 just finished downloading an OTA upgrade to 'something' (it's not showing what it has downloaded, about 490Mb in size) and I may have postponed the upgrade by rebooting.
Perhaps an upgrade to Android 6.0? I don't know if that would be better or worse for what I'm trying to do here...

Thanks in advance for any pointers...


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/2cxcuJP
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment