Friday, May 27, 2016

Is a custom ROM likely to make a significant difference in battery life?

I have a Note 4 running stock Samsung ROM (6.0.1) that I just got and the battery life is beyond bad. I'm old (hold on a sec...some kids are on my lawn), not quite demented but fairly tech savvy. I don't do games, facebook, snapchat, instagram, etc. I seldom use the device even for calls. Just a light load of email, browser and some light low-def video and audio usage. All non-essential processes are killed except Greenify. Despite those key factors, ninety minutes in and I've chewed through 60-70% of charge. 90 MINUTES! I'm but a gentle user and I can't imagine what a more average user must be faced with. Bought a new battery...same results. Boot to safe mode and no noticeable difference.

The warranty will be up in 30 days. So I do have option of sending it off to Samsung and being dead in the water for a couple of weeks (not ideal).

Does anyone suspect that a software re-flash will accomplish anything? Not looking forward to having to go through the setup process again, but...

After the warranty period is over, I would happily try a different ROM if anybody can explain how it might make a noticeable/significant difference. If so, what ROM should I consider? I would even be willing to revert to an older OS. Again, what version should I consider?

Other considerations?

Thank you.


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/1X22ldq
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment